Accused Child Molester Will Not Get a Plea Deal, Judge Says
Restraining order placed on Watchung man accused of sexual contact, videotaping minors.
A Watchung man accused of sexually assaulting a child, videotaping children in an amusement park bathroom and possessing child pornography will not be eligible for any plea agreements, a Superior Court judge said Monday.
Patrick Deck, 52, of Lakeview Avenue, appeared before Superior Court Judge Ann Bartlett, sitting in Belvidere.
The judge also granted several additional requests made by the Warren County Prosecutor's Office and told Deck he is to have no contact with the alleged victim.
Wearing a blue jumpsuit, and speaking clearly in response to the judge's questions, Deck waived his right to have the complaint against him read in the court. Deck told Bartlett he had hired attorney William Strazza, of Union, earlier Monday to represent him. He had apparently also contacted James Wronko, of Somerville, last week but did not know Wronko had responded to the court.
At the request of the prosecutor's office, a restraining order was placed barring Deck from having any contact "whatsoever with the victim, victim's school, place of employment, or families," Bartlett said.
"You are prohibited from stalking, harming or threatening; you are prohibited from having anyone make contact with the victim," Bartlett added.
Assistant Prosecutor Kevin Brotzman requested the judge order the victim's name be removed from the restraining order to protect the individual. However, Bartlett said that may not be possible because of legal requirements for the orders.
"I will order you, Mr. Deck—do not release this restraining order to anyone," Bartlett told him.
She also said because of the nature of his crimes, should he make bail—he's currently being held with bail set $200,000—he will be interviewed to provide details of the source of any bail funds.
If Deck is able to make bail, Bartlett had already decreed that he be held under house arrest, and wear an electronic monitoring device, Warren County Prosecutor Richard Burke said last week.
Deck had also been charged with videotaping in a bathroom at the Land of Make Believe amusement park and violating the terms of an earlier conviction last week, and was free on $100,000 bail when the new charges were filed.